NHS prescription charges
The NHS prescription charge increased to £8.80 for each medicine or appliance (£17.60 per pair of elastic hosiery) from April 2017
Prescriptions are FREE for:
- children under 16
- full-time students aged 16,17 and 18 (must be in full-time education)
- people aged 60 years or over
- people with a valid maternity exemption certificate
- people with a valid medical exemption certificate
- people with a valid prescription pre-payment certificate*
- people with a valid War Pension exemption certificate
- people named on a current HC2 charges certificate
- prescribed free-of-charge contraceptives
- people getting Income Support or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- people getting income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- people entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate
- someone who has a partner who gets Pension Credit guarantee credit (PCGC)
* A prescription pre-payment certificate (PPC) may save you money. They cost £29.10 for 3 months and £104.00 for 12 months, (offering a saving to anyone who needs more than three items in 3 months or thirteen items in 12 months).
To apply over the phone call 0300 330 134. You can also apply online.
A prescription charge is a contribution to the NHS. It is not a payment to the pharmacist. It bears no relationship to the cost of the medicine.
Please note the following:
NHS prescription charges have been abolished in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
However you are only entitled to free prescriptions in Wales if you are:
- A patient registered with a Welsh GP and you receive a prescription from a Welsh pharmacy
- A Welsh patient who has an English GP and an entitlement card and you receive your prescription from a Welsh pharmacy
You are only entitled to free prescriptions in Scotland if you are:
- A patient registered with a Scottish GP and you receive your prescription from a Scottish pharmacy
- A Scottish patient who has an English GP and an entitlement card and you receive your prescription from a Scottish pharmacy
*Our home delivery service is based in England. English prices and exemption rules apply, even if you live in Wales or Scotland*